Scarborough Fair Chicken Soup
- 4 chicken breasts, diced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 vidalia onion
- 5-6 carrots
- 5-6 ribs celery
- 16oz white mushrooms
- 1/3 cup long grain white rice
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 2 teaspoons dried crushed rosemary
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Prep your ingredients. Chop carrots and celery into 1″ pieces (approximately). If your celery has leaves on top, use them too. Quarter mushrooms. Chop onion very small. Dice chicken breasts.
- Over medium/medium-high heat (depending on your stove), heat 1 tablespoon olive oil until pretty hot, but not smoking. Add chopped onions and cook until soft.
- Add diced chicken and a sprinkle of salt & pepper. Cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Add carrots, celery, and mushrooms. Mix to combine with chicken.
- Add parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. Don’t forget to sing while you do it! (It makes the soup taste better! :) )
- Add 8 cups chicken broth.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn down to a simmer – approximately medium-low, depending on your stove. Simmer for 2 hours.
- After 1 hour 30 minutes has passed, add uncooked rice. (If you are using rice, of course. If you’re not, just keep simmering!) Then cover and continue simmering for the final 30 minutes.
- After 2 hours of simmering, it's all ready to eat. Serve and enjoy!
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Total time: 2 hours 25 minutes